Thursday, June 17, 2010

Just for laughs

If laughter is the best medicine, then he is currently Bollywood’s resident pharmacist. In a conversation with Spriha Srivastava, the irrepressible Sajid Khan reveals the tricks of how he tickles everyone's funny bone…

You have a comical streak when it comes to facing the camera. Why haven’t you acted in your own films?

I don’t think I’m a good actor. Hats off to those who can do it all – write, direct, act. I don’t think I can do all this together. When I’m involved in a film, I totally lose myself in it. I’m involved with everything related to the film. In fact, my doses of cigarettes increase, I put on weight etc. I like to get involved with every detailing of the film because I want to make a film which I would want to watch as an audience and have fun. I don’t think doing more than direction in a film can work for me.

What is comedy according to you?

Comedy is action and reaction. When there’s an action, the reaction is what makes people laugh. For example, in "Housefull", all the actors are displaying some action and Arjun’s role is only to react. That reaction is what will make people laugh. So, comedy has to have a balance between action and reaction.

Was filmmaking your childhood dream?

Oh yes! Like most people in India, even I have grown up watching films only. I have made fun of films, criticised them, done spoofs of them on TV… and that’s because I love movies more than anyone else. In fact, I’d confess that I’m not a good director. I’m a very good audience. I know exactly what the audience wants to see.

How do you draw the cues of humour for your script?

I am little crazy! But it’s real life observation. For example, there was once a situation where my secretary was diagnosed with cancer. He got tests after tests done for that. It went on for six months and it was confirmed that he had pancreatic cancer. After six months he was told that he actually has diabetes and has to control consumption of sweets. Out of excitement and relief I said, "Ye to bahut khushi ki baat hai… ye le muh meetha kar le!" (This is great news. You must have some sweets). And this situation turned out to be so funny that I have used it in my film.


Tell us about “Housefull”.

This film is a romantic comedy entertainer. All the stars in the film – Akshay, Riteish, Deepika, Arjun, Jiah, Lara - have a unique role and I think this is going to be Akshay’s most defining role ever. Jiah will be seen as never before. Lara is doing what a Madhuri Dixit and Sridevi did in the eighties, from a comedy point of view. This is not a madcap cinema or leave-your brains-at-home kind of a movie. It took me two years along with two other writers to pen the script. In this movie all these stars come together in one house and each character go through different things in their life. I don’t expect any critical acclaim or any ‘Best Director’ award from this film. But I can guarantee that each and everyone will enjoy this film.

At the sets of “Housefull”, who made you laugh the most?

Oh everyone. But Randhir Kapoor was exceptional, offscreen! He is a very funny man. Also, Akshay and Riteish make me laugh a lot. And you have to meet Arjun after he’s two drinks down. He’s the funniest man on earth then.

Do you necessarily have to maintain a light atmosphere on the sets to get the best out of actors?

Yes, I guess so. I don’t think any film unit can be called a happy film unit if they don’t have a tear in their eye on the last day of shooting. According to me, this indicates that every person, right from the guy who does the lighting to the biggest of actors, have enjoyed and worked as a family. On my sets, we are always pulling each others’ leg.

Were there any pranks played on the sets of “Housefull”?

Sajid directs the question to Jiah, seated in the same room, to narrate the prank played on her in Italy. Jiah – “Akshay and Riteish had dumped all the cutlery of the hotel that we were in, in my bag. So while going out, all the knives, forks, butter, jam etc was discovered from my bag and I was highly embarrassed. Everyone was looking at me!”

What do you think is most important in a film?

I think the script is the most important part of a film. Only a good script can make a film work. Stars are only there to attract audience into the theatre to watch a film. But eventually, it’s the script that makes the stars work. Aamir Khan’s “3 Idiots” made billions at the box office. But I feel if Aamir Khan was replaced, the film would have done equally well because the script was very well laid out.

Which movie do you wish you had directed?

"Dostana". When I saw the film, the first thought that came to my mind was that wish I would have made this film. I could stop myself from laughing throughout the movie.

For Complete IIPM Article, Click on IIPM Article

Source :
IIPM Editorial, 2009


An IIPM and Professor Arindam Chaudhuri (Renowned Management Guru and Economist) Initiative

Read these article :-