Monday, June 14, 2010

THE GREAT KHALI

Who needs a headline when you are The Great Khali?! Dalip Singh Rana, in a freewheeling chat with Neha Sarin, talks about his journey from being a cop in the Punjab police to becoming the most feared name in the WWE ring, to acting in Hollywood

How did you get into bodybuilding? Did you face any racism in the West?
In 1994, when I joined Punjab Police, I wanted to tone-up my physique as I was always interested in increasing my physical strength. I started bodybuilding and the results of progress were very good. Soon I became National Champion in 1997-98. Little bit of racism is always there, but due to my performances, I did not encounter much of it and the people here in the US showered a lot of affection on me.

What made people take note of Khali? Was it just the size, or his performances in wrestling?
I may have the liberty to say that spectators do feel attracted to my stature, but I would like to assert that it is my performance, and blessings of the Almighty on me.

How did the transition to WWE happen? What was your initial reaction to moving into the world of entertainment?
My desire to bring glory to myself and to my country took me to WWE, which enjoys universal popularity. Initially, I went to Japan and made relentless efforts to get proper training. It is a different matter that my performance was admired by the Japanese.

WWE is hugely popular in India, but the same can’t be said for traditional wrestling. We struggle in the sport even at an international level. Does India have the necessary talent in wrestling to make it big on the international stage?
I have mentioned that WWE is very popular all over the world, including India. I do agree that amateur wrestling is not that popular. The federations should take all requisite measures to make it popular. I assert that there is no dearth of wrestling talent in India.

Was it an easy and a natural progression from WWE to Hollywood? How was the experience working in “The Longest Yard” and “Get Smart”? Any more films in the pipeline?
While I was giving performances in the WWE ring, prominent producers and directors of Hollywood evinced interest in me and I got my first Hollywood break in “The Longest Yard” and after that “Get Smart”. By the grace of God both of them were quite successful. I enjoyed a lot working in them. My next movies “Tree of Life” and “A Team” are going to be released soon.

You’re a vegetarian, you don’t drink or smoke… Same holds true for most wrestlers in India. Is a vegetarian diet any less nutritious than what most of the West swears by?
I prefer vegetarian food, I don't enjoy drinking and smoking. Yes, I have learnt that many wrestlers in India are vegetarian. It’s not like vegetarian food carries any less nutrition than non-veg. Fruits, vegetables, beans, pulses, cheese are class one source of nutrition.

Your detractors say that your superhuman size is due to a disorder. There are also reports of wrestlers using steroids to gain mammoth proportions. Your comments.
I may assert that my so-called extraordinary physique is a god-given gift and there is no disorder whatsoever. I have learnt that several sports persons do take steroids to enhance their physical prowess but I don’t take any such thing. It is worth mentioning that there are routine dope tests in the WWE. However, all wrestlers do take food supplements.

What do you think about India’s bronze medal at the Beijing Olympics?
It is a matter of pride for us all that an Indian wrestler won bronze medal at the Olympics.

Do you think you missed out on Olympic glory for any reason whatsoever?
My sport is not in Olympics but I am very happy that I chose WWE. My countless fans all over the world would agree and I’m sure they are also happy with my decision of selecting WWE.

What do you think are India’s chances at the Commonwealth Games?
I am hopeful that talented athletes of India would perform well in forthcoming Commonwealth Games.

How can a child grow as huge as Khali?
I would again like to say that this hugeness of mine is a god given gift. I would also like to add that gifted children can make a mark in life through devoted and determined efforts.
For Complete IIPM Article, Click on IIPM Article

Source :
IIPM Editorial, 2009


An IIPM and Professor Arindam Chaudhuri (Renowned Management Guru and Economist) Initiative

Read these article :-