Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Best of both worlds

MotoGP legend as well as V8 Supercar and Japanese GT Sports car star, Wayne Gardner has certainly known the best of both worlds, but doesn’t shy from taking sides…

Generically speaking, cars are faster, and safer. Where do you think bikes score over the four wheeled counterparts?

Generally speaking, cars are safer because you're driving in a steel shell, but most bikes are much faster and more nimble, and they give you a complete feeling of freedom – bikes win hands down for fun. For safety, cars are definitely the winner, but the flirt with danger and exposure to the elements on a bike can't be beaten!

They say bikes are the cruising envy of drivers. Cars, especially SUVs or large vehicles, mention ‘space’ as a selling point to give them “the illusion of the freedom to cruise.” Your comments...

I don't believe you'll ever replicate the feeling of a motorcycle in a car because you're still within a controlled environment. However, if cruising to you means sitting back in a lounge chair and relaxing, then I guess a large vehicle can provide a 'cruisy' ride for some – those that have never ridden a motorcycle that is. The closest you can come to a motorcycle in a car – and it's still a long way off – is in a fast convertible, at least you can feel the wind in your face.

How does bike racing compare with car racing?

Nothing could ever replace the excitement of motorcycle racing for me. However, I took up car racing because my competitive nature needed another challenge as a form of weaning myself off motorcycle racing. I moved to cars purely from a safety point of view – as I got older, my self-preservation mechanism kicked in! Car racing is extremely competitive and unlike motorcycle racing, the performance of the car is a lot more important than driver ability. For me, it was a huge challenge and a learning opportunity to understand car set-up and performance. What did surprise me was the corner speed of cars as opposed to motorcycles – the breaking points were so much later and higher, which took some adjusting and helped my search for the adrenalin rush. Racing motorcycles will always be my passion but car racing helped me satisfy my competitive nature at the time when I still needed the fix.

You’ve handled both machines. Which of them is more "obedient" in the hands of its master? And which one "spoils" you more?

A motorcycle is definitely more obedient because when you ride a bike, it becomes an extension of you and you are totally united with the bike. So, you are really driving the machine. In a car you are strapped in a seat in a large shell, and it feels much more like the vehicle is taking you for a ride, rather than you driving it. You just don't have that one-on-one relationship that you do with a bike.

Define for us: 1) The quintessential bike guy (or girl) and 2) The quintessential car guy (or girl)

The average motorcycle rider is a passionate and emotional person. Motorcycle riding is driven by passion. They are down-to-earth and have a good sense of adventure.

I think the average car enthusiast is driven by image, style, and speed. Their car is a reflection of their success. They are high achievers and strive for comfort and style in their life.

Of the many you own, which is your favourite machine? I don't have any of the Hondas or the Ford F100 (unfortunately) anymore. I now drive an Audi Q7 and a Volvo XC60 convertible. I did love my F100, but unfortunately all the family didn't fit – so now I just feed my passion and ride my new Honda CBR1,000 Fireblade for fun. I guess the real love of my life is my 1987 World Champion NSR500 which is now in a museum at Bathurst, NSW, so that everyone can enjoy it. I can't ride it anymore but it gave me one of the best gifts of my life (my World Championship) and so it has my loyalty forever!! My kids also now race Dirt Track and so we have quite a few more race bikes in the garage!

In closing, I'd just like to sum up with my belief that cars are a mode of transport whilst bikes are a way of life!

For Complete IIPM Article, Click on IIPM Article

Source :
IIPM Editorial, 2009


An IIPM and Professor Arindam Chaudhuri (Renowned Management Guru and Economist) Initiative