Friday, December 04, 2009

Some Indians whose birthday last year was engulfed by death and destruction

Kanchan Milind Vichare

Working woman, mumbai

Kanchan, an employee of Kalpsutra Chemicals in Mulund, will be 37 years old on November 26 this year. “On my birthday, I will go to a temple and pray for those who lost their lives in the 26/11 attack.”

Kanchan was at home playing with her eight-year-old son, Prathamesh, when the terrorist attack on Mumbai began. Her first reaction was fear but as she watched the bereaved people mourning their lost ones, she was filled with courage and fortitude. “Since that day, I tell my son he must be brave and that he must stand up against all those who have evil designs on our nation,” she says. “The day after the attack, we were back at work. My husband is a driver.”

Kanchan adds: “The situation is going from bad to worse, but that does not mean we will hide in our homes. We have to confront the threats… 26/11 is a day we will never forget. I will celebrate my birthday for it will also remind me of those who suffered on this day last year.”

Mayank Aggarwal

Engineering graduate, delhi

Last year when the attack took place in Mumbai I was preparing for my last exam of the semester. As we had an exam the very next day, our celebrations were on hold. But the event that happened on the 26th and the repercussions that followed made me change my mind. I was really shocked and filled with anger. Every passing moment, more than thinking about my birthday, I remember it was the lives of the hostages that I was praying for. No doubt, November 26 is now regarded as a black day for our country and will be counted with December 6 (Babri Masjid demolition), Mumbai attacks, Indira Gandhi’s assassination, etc. The horrific events of the day are compared to the ones which occurred on September 9, 2001 in America.

A birthday is always a special day for a person and one feels like sharing his/her happiness with dear ones. But if a tragic event occurs, the day tends to bring back horrifying memories. It’s my birthday and I feel I have the right to celebrate it the way I want to, but thinking about the people who lost their lives that day I feel sympathetic towards their kin and feel their loss as my own. For this reason I won’t be celebrating my birthday partying out somewhere with friends.

I might go out for dinner with my family and spend most of the time with them as we always live in the shadow of fear. People may forget the event after sometime, but every year I am sure I will be reminded of the tragedy. It’s there with me for the rest of my life. I will maintain two minutes’ silence and offer prayers. If possible, I will join the people to commemorate all those who lost their lives that day.

For Complete IIPM Article, Click on IIPM Article

Source :
IIPM Editorial, 2009


An IIPM and Professor Arindam Chaudhuri (Renowned Management Guru and Economist) Initiative