Friday, September 11, 2009

…Being Shahid - "IIPM Press Release"

Acting is in your blood but when did you realise that it is your calling? Umm... I don’t know actually. It was a process. I think with time things just happened in a way where I got offered a few ads and I started doing them and I enjoyed doing them. And then I started thinking about the fact that it’s actually fun doing this. Then I got serious about it and I started assisting in direction so it just happened and it happened on its own. I didn’t really plan it as such. But I guess somewhere deep inside I was curious about it and so it interested me and once I got into it I fell in love with it.

How much support did your parents give you?

Oh they were completely supportive. The biggest support they could give me was that they gave me total freedom to decide what I wanted to do and they put their faith in me that my decisions would be something that they would back up and I think that was huge.

You once said that Aamir Khan is the person who inspires you and Shah Rukh Khan is the one you like. Enlighten us…

The kind of career chart that Aamir Khan has followed is huge. He has always tried to do something new, which is very inspiring for a newcomer. I think Shah Rukh is somebody who is completely self-made; he has made it on his own. Each and every regular guy on the street can stand up and say ‘you know what? If he can do it so can I!’ and I was one of them. These are the people you have looked up to and they are icons for you. They are very inspiring.

You’ve always played the quintessential lover boy or taken up roles like that.

But aren’t you afraid of being typecast?

I’m doing different films now. I have four films coming up this year and in all of them I’m playing different characters. So hopefully there should be enough variety for the audience to feel that they would like to see me doing different things.

You are doing your dad’s film. Are you looking forward to it because he is your dad and you have a certain comfort level with him?

No, not really. I’m really looking forward to it because to begin with he is a great actor, somebody whose work I have always seen and always wondered how he comes up with it and what goes on in his mind to conceive what he conceives. As an actor maybe I’ll get a little bit of a sneak peek into it when I work with him. So that is something which I’m very excited about and secondly, I think it took dad four years to actually say ‘yes’ that I have the subject that is right for you. So I have great faith in the fact that he is not doing it because we are father and son and I am not doing it because we are father and son. We are doing it because we feel it is right and that’s how it should be.

You’ve been linked with many of your co-stars but who is your favourite co-star?

I can’t name one, I’ll name a few on the basis of the fact that I think on screen our chemistry really rocked. “Ishq Vishq” and “Vivah” with Amrita, “Jab We Met” with Kareena and right now I really had fun working with Priyanka on “Kaminey”.

You’ve been both on stage and in front of the camera. How different are the two and which one do you prefer?

Honestly, I haven’t done too much of stage. I think both have their own appeal. Obviously there is an immediate acknowledgement of a performance when you are on stage and therefore there is that joy. But on 70 mm you get the opportunity to chisel what you are doing and you have to wait for the results to come out which has its own appeal in a different way.

Everything is also dependent on the director. So it’s more of a process rather than an individual performance. So yeah, it’s different.

“Kaminey” releases next week. Looks like it is going to be a banner year for Shahid Kapoor…

There are four films releasing this year, so it’s a busy year for me. There is obviously "Kaminey", there is a film with Yash Raj, there is a dance film with Ken Ghosh for which obviously Marty (James Martin Kudelka) had come down and there is a special appearance in a film in which I’m playing a teacher, which I thought was quite exciting because I’m only 27, which is a pretty young age to be playing a teacher but it was exciting, a different take. Our perspective towards teachers is only of old people and there are so many young teachers that one comes across.
For Complete IIPM Article, Click on IIPM Article

Source :
IIPM Editorial, 2008